This year 2020 was ushered in with fear and an overwhelming pandemic which still puts a lot of fear in the human race and continues to take too many innocent lives.
COVID-19 in other words “Wuhan virus” as referred to by ‘President Trump’ found its way into Africa and further into Ghana. Being an election year, this presented an opportunity and a disaster clothed in one; as the successful control of the pandemic would prove that the ruling government is on top of its game, but the failure would rather bring colossal repercussions not only to innocent lives but the fortunes of the government politically.
One cannot run away from the economic displacements the novel Covid -19 has caused all over the world. Developing and developed countries have had their economies suffering its worst because of the quarantine and isolation control measures.
2020 has also been marred with;
1. The assassination of the Iranian general.
2. A Turkish plane carrying innocent lives exploded – with the excuse of it being mistaken as a military aircraft.
3. Russian government passing a referendum which is likely to see president Putin ushered into power till 2032. Fortunately or rather unfortunately, the referendum process sees the lowest polling turn out signifying the level of unpatriotic nature of citizens as people are simply not interested in the seeming “corrupted nature of government”.
4. Series of attacks on women in South Africa is fast catching the attention of the foreign media as the killings of sisters, mothers and wives is becoming too much and uncontrolled.
5. “Stop raping us” is the hash tag for protests against rampant rape cases spreading in Nigeria.
6. Indian military meets Chinese military on the border in a “no-man’s-land” region where confrontations of bullets and seeming rivalry war is taking place.
7. Hong-Kong protesters arrested for kicking against a bill passed to bring it back under Chinese rule and governance after it being independent for years and developing stronger ties to UK. This has caused an international stir as it’s the first of its kind.
8. George Floyd murdered in broad day light by racist law enforcers in Minneapolis-America saw the highest number of protest action in the world with many taking to the streets on the mantra of “black lives matter”.
9. Chinese authorities forcefully trying to engage the black community in China on Covid-19 related matters also saw a brut resistance leading to China massaging immigration laws to force out “blacks” from the city of Guangzhou and other places.
10. Freedom fighter singer shot dead in broad day light in Ethiopia’s capital – Addis Ababa because the talented artist sings to motivate people against government oppression. Thousands took to the streets to protest against this action.
All this eventualities in 8 months!!!
With the international statistics on racial abuse on the rise, a critical Stan stance should be taken to look at why the many racist attacks are going on?
This is the system I call the 3B’s.
– I’m the only black
– I’m the first black
– I’m the best black
This is always the story for the black race. _I’m the “only black” to have ever been voted for as an American president, I’m the “first black” to have made an invention; I’m the “best black” neurosurgeon. List goes on and on.
*This is the genesis of mediocrity*
which has sank so deep and still is sinking amongst the black communities and hence since we see ourselves as inferior and need an accomplishment in the “white” dominated environment to make it count, the white supremists also take advantage to mentally enslave us! And this is the sad truth.
Steadily and eventually the lyrics of Tupac and Bob Marley are being realized and the black man is waking up. My prayer is; we don’t get complacent and eventually die down the enthusiasm at kicking against this 2nd level status being accorded.
This year has presented too many episodes of negative events but what we should be doing as youth is to take advantage of the euphoria, take advantage of the crippling economies and bring more innovative, feasible ideas at bringing things back to normalcy and monetizing it to make the millions that matter.
Teaming youth can start developing softwares or finding more innovative ways to use social media rather than sharing funny memes and taking too long self-videos and pictures showing social class, dresses and ostentatious inexistent lifestyles (lessons learnt from Hushpuppi- fraud monies have an expiring date)
Being born in the “computer age” there is a lot of natural computer and internet skills up our shoulders. Ghanaian youth can capitalize on this and find data inputting for companies with too many files and documents which can be digitized to safe space and create an easy database of assessment whiles finding alternatives at profiting from work done.
2020 is an election year and political parties are on fire with messages and programs. Dear youth, don’t kill yourself for a politician; both sides of the coin all have stronger friendship ties than is always being perceived. Die in the crossfire of action between political parties and realize that your family loses the most and not the party you lost your life for.
Education and sensitization of even the voter process and registration process can be adopted to better your capacity and personal skills.
When you work too smart you end up being a fraudster or an intellectual thief at most with the end being not so successful, work too hard and you end up with peanuts of an income; but combine working smart and hardwork and life is going to smile its fortunes at you.
2020 hasn’t been so forthcoming, but let’s take advantage of this and turn around the woes into fortunes. Let’s see opportunity rather than calamity. The whole world make way for he who knows where he is going.
2020: The higher the risk the higher the reward!!!
Que sera, sera, what will be, will be!!!
Ghana Youth Movement- GYM