ASEPA has been touring Ashanti Region for that past few days interviewing applicants in the ongoing Voters Registration exercise and has made a number of observations.
1.That the voter enthusiasm in Ashanti is lower as compared to other areas like Greater Accra and Volta Regions.
2. Three out of every ten applicant interviewed at polling centers admitted they were registering for the voters ID card for official use only and have no intention of showing up on election day to vote.
3.Constituencies like Nhyiaso,Subin,Kwadaso, Mahyia North are likely to register less applicants than they have on the 2019 Register .
4. At halfway through the Registration Exercise, Ashanti Region has recorded a little over 1.3million applicants, out of which 30% are applicants who want to use card for official purpose, about 25% are likely to be NDC supporters.
5. Considering the current trend of Registration in Ashanti, it is almost impossible for Ashanti Region to equal the 3.2million voter population it has on the 2019 Voters Register.
6. If the current rate of application continues Ashanti Region is likely to hit a maximum of 2.6million voter population.
600,000 less the population on the 2019 Register.
Out of the 2.6million , 30% are indifferent and would not vote in 2020.
25% are likely to vote for the NDC.
7. All things being equal, that leaves Ashanti Region with 45% of 2.6million votes.
8. Unless anything magical happens, the NPP cannot solely depend on Ashanti Region in 2020 as it did in 2016.
9. The NPP must strive to increase it’s base in other Regions such as Volta, Central and Western to be able to win the 2020 Elections.
Executive Director, ASEPA